Abdulmutallab Pleads Guilty, Gets Sentence Next Year

Christmas Day bomber calls his action a 'virtuous deed'

Farouk Umar Abdulmutallab, who is currently charged in the United States for trying to bomb a Detroit-bound flight on the December 25, 2009, yesterday pleaded guilty to all the charges brought against him by federal prosecutors.

Abdulmutallab, 25, surprised the courtroom on the second day of his trial by pleading 'guilty' to all charges after he returned from a 45-minute recess, ending the most high-profile terrorism case in the United States since the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

The charges included attempted murder, attempted use of weapons of mass destruction and conspiracy to commit terrorism, and attempt to blow up a Northwest Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Detroit, Michigan, on Christmas Day 2009.

Abdulmutallab said that he tried to bomb the plane in retaliation for US support of Israel and to avenge the killing of Muslims in the Middle East.

He said the bomb was a "blessed weapon to save the lives of innocent Muslims."

"Participation in jihad against the US is considered among the most virtuous of deeds in Islam and is highly encouraged in the Quran," Abdulmutallab told the judge, reading from a prepared statement.

US District Judge Nancy Edmunds earlier asked him if he wished to waive his right to a trial and plead guilty.

"That's right," he said.

Edmunds asked Abdulmutallab how he would plead to one of the most serious charges, attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction, which is punishable by life in prison.

"Guilty," Abdulmutallab said.

"And are you pleading because you believe you are guilty?" the judge asked him. "Yes," he answered.

Assistant US Attorney Jonathan Tukel asked him if he carried an explosive device on board.

"If you say so," Abdulmutallab said.

"You knew it was an explosive, correct?" Tukel asked him.

"Yes," he answered.

"It was intended to explode?" Tukel asked him.

"Yes," Abdulmutallab answered.

Abdulmutallab also ranted against the US after pleading guilty.

"The United States should be warned," he said. "If the United States continues the blasphemy of Muhammad and the prophets and continues to support those who kill innocent Muslims, it should await a great calamity that will befall them in the hands of the mujahedeen soon or God will strike them directly with a great calamity soon. If you laugh at us now, we will laugh at you later in this life and on the Day of Judgment."

Abdulmutallab will be sentenced at 2 p.m. January 12, 2012 in federal court.

He shouted "Allahu Akbar!" before being handcuffed and escorted out of the courtroom by a deputy US Marshal.

The guilty plea marks a major victory against terrorism for the Justice Department, which was criticized by some for trying Abdulmutallab in civilian court instead of a military tribunal.

The plea was unexpected but ended a criminal trial filled with unexpected outbursts by Abdulmutallab, who exhibited defiant behaviour, fired his legal team, mulled a guilty plea last year and opted to defend himself.

During court hearings, he propped a foot on the defence table and shouted al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki were alive.

On Wednesday, Abdulmutallab wore a dark sport coat and a long khaki-coloured dashiki that flowed to his ankles - a more formal look than his dress for earlier hearings.

The prosecution opened the trial on Tuesday by providing the most detailed and vivid narrative of the moments surrounding the terrorist attack.

The incident exposed gaps in airport security after prosecutors said Abdulmutallab managed to board the flight from Amsterdam with the bomb, an act that led to stiffer security measures.

Sign up for our eNewsletters
Get the latest news and updates