WEST TISBURY — Martha's Vineyard Airport was shut down for several hours Tuesday morning after a bomb threat.
"Martha's Vineyard Airport has reopened and resumed normal operation after a reported threat earlier this morning," Massachusetts State Police wrote in a tweet at around 10 a.m. Tuesday.
A sweep of the airport by state police — including a K-9 unit — and local agencies found nothing hazardous, the tweet says.
"As far as I know, it was probably a hoax, I believe," Trooper James DeAngelis said.
An 8:04 a.m. post on the airport's Facebook page announced that the facility had closed because of a security emergency. Another post just after 9:30 a.m. stated that the airport had reopened.
The threat was received at about 6 a.m., according to Assistant Airport Manager Geoffrey Freeman. As of 9 a.m., West Tisbury, Edgartown and state police remained at the scene investigating, Freeman said.
"It was a phoned-in threat to the airport," he said.
Another airport official who answered the phone at about 9:50 a.m. confirmed that the airport had reopened but declined to answer additional questions.
©2019 Cape Cod Times, Hyannis, Mass.
Visit Cape Cod Times, Hyannis, Mass. at www.capecodtimes.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.