OAG released Megahubs 2023 on September 19, a list of the top 50 most internationally connected airports in the world and the Top 25 most domestically connected airports in the U.S.
Here are five things you should know from the report:
1. JFK International Airport is now the world’s second most connected airport. JFK has moved up from #18 in 2019 to #2 in the world. Chicago (ORD) continues to reign as #1 in the U.S. and #10 among Global Megahubs. Atlanta (ATL) is #2 among U.S. hubs and #14 globally.
2. United Airlines and Delta Air Lines dominate the share of flights at the top three U.S. airports. Southwest is now the dominant carrier at 4 of the U.S.’s Top 25 airports.
3. Six North American airports rank within the world’s Top 20 most connected, including Chicago (ORD), Atlanta (ATL), and Denver (DEN).
4. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) climbed 15 spots from 2019 to #7 in the U.S.
5. London Heathrow Airport (LHR) reclaimed the top spot as the world’s number one most internationally connected airport.
In the report, Chief Analyst at OAG John Grant said, “The resurgence of key international hubs signals a strong representation for North American Megahubs and is also indicative of ongoing recovery across regions as global capacity has rebounded to approximately 98 percent of pre-pandemic levels.”