Kansas City International Airport Traffic Report - March 2021

April 23, 2021

The City of Kansas City, MO, Aviation Department reports that 484,216 passengers arrived and departed through Kansas City International Airport’s gates in March, a 0.4-percent increase from March 2020. Passenger boardings were up 7.2 percent, with a total of 245,061 boarded. Year-to-date passenger boardings are 547,453, down 47.3 percent. For the year to date, total passengers in and out total 1,094,802, down 47.8 percent. “As residents of the Kansas City-region receive vaccinations and become increasingly comfortable with air travel we are appreciative of our airline partners who are actively restoring flights to key destinations from Kansas City International Airport,” said Pat Klein, director of aviation.

Air cargo tonnages, which consist of both freight and mail transported by air, for all carriers at KCI were up 8.2 percent in March with a total of 17.8 million pounds handled. Year to date, 47.8 million pounds have been handled, down 2.1 percent. Air freight handled at KCI during March amounted to 17.7 million pounds, up 10.3 percent year-over-year. Year to date, air freight is up 0.2 percent with a total of 47.4 million pounds handled. Air mail for March was down 68.2 percent from March 2020 with 143,849 pounds handled. Air mail year to date for 2020 is down 69.5 percent from 2020 with 470,907 pounds handled.The number of peak-day scheduled aircraft departures for March 2021 was 97. Service was offered to 34 nonstop markets. There was an average of 21,612 arriving and departing scheduled seats in the market each day. The all-cargo carriers reported seven daily departures for March.