SULPHUR SPRINGS, TEXAS, APRIL 23, 2014 – American Legend Aircraft Company launched its Lycoming powered Super Legend on the grounds of Sun ‘n Fun 2014, with the arrival of three new aircraft. The company also announced first customer deliveries of the Super Legend. The aircraft received its FAA approval last November. Currently, production is underway on an order book of nine aircraft with four having been delivered to customers.
The all-new Super Legend follows the successes of the Legend Cub, an airplane that led the Sport Pilot movement upon its introduction at Sun ‘n Fun 2005 in Lakeland, Florida. An idea that evolved over the nine-year period, the Super Legend will appeal to sport and adventure pilots, and is exemplary in its mission of backcountry and pleasure flying.
The joy of flying a Super Legend
Cub aircraft designs from American Legend Aircraft Company are widely recognized as airplanes that are fun to fly. It’s rare to meet a pilot without the want to own or have access to one. In fact, many pilots say they would be quite content to spend the rest of their flying days with little more than a clear sky, a suitable place to land, and one of the most popular aircraft of all time. The Legend Cub and Super Legend smartly satisfy all three yearnings. Legend Cubs, and their pilots, long to land on short or unpaved strips. They are particularly fond of fields lined in turf. With its suitability to enjoyable flying, the Super Legend represents the new classic.
Flying for pleasure in its purest form
Design of new Super Legend was inspired by one of the most useful and practical aircraft in all of aviation—the Piper Super Cub. The versatile and wildly popular airframe, one that has been repeatedly imitated, comes to life again as the modern Super Legend. Innovative in its approach, today’s Super Legend is a recreational and backcountry flyer’s wish list. It incorporates everything imaginable in a slow flying, docile handling airplane, from airframe enhancements to comfort features. With its modern construction, the new Super Legend is built for dependable operation. The Super Legend is an airplane that will carry on a tradition of versatility, and flying for pure fun of it.
Range, reach and worry-free support with Lycoming
The Super Legend first flew on January 12, 2012. Its design objectives included a quest for a higher performance in the ultimate two-seater. Emboldened by 75 years of aviation prowess, the Super Legend was determined to fill some very big shoes. Lycoming had just released its re-engineered YO-233 flat-four engine, a powerhouse capable of running on a choice of available fuels. The Lycoming YO-233 in the Super Legend, as expected, extends the aircraft’s already enviable performance with shorter takeoffs and greater range. Its ability to reach remote locations, delivering passengers and payload, and its worry-free maintenance and worldwide support make the Lycoming a natural fit for the Super Legend.
Full power available in all phases of flight
In the Sport Pilot class, the Super Legend with its Lycoming engine is the essential, no-holds-barred performance engine of choice. Its lightweight design optimizes, rather than occupies, the aircraft’s useful load. This leaves more room and flexibility to do with your aircraft what you’ve intended. Intelligent electronics and a host of optimized equipment in the thoroughly modern engine make it a powerplant for today’s pilot. The Super Legend powered by Lycoming is free of power setting limits and full of performance.
Feature-rich Super Legend is a one-of-a-kind
With its sporty styling, plush comfort, and stronger, lighter airframe, the Super Legend is a standout. A discernable step beyond its predecessors, the Super Legend exemplifies the sport and backcountry flying experience. Its features a richly appointed panel that exceeds expectations, body conforming seats, and a host of other design inputs inspired by customers. What was always a fine example of an enduring aircraft design is now the best of the breed. One customer succinctly called it “THE BEST aircraft to fit my mission.”
Super Legend construction utilizes customized tooling, newly manufactured components, and proven assembly processes. While American Legend Aircraft Company offers numerous customization options, Super Legend features include:
- Same Proven Airfoil as Piper Super Cub with 35’6” Wing Span
- 3-Inch Wider Cabin Than Piper Super Cub
- Classic PA-18 Pressure Cowling of Super Strong, Lightweight Carbon Fiber
- Carbon Fiber Doors, Floorboards, Interior and Baggage Panels, Spinner, Wingtip Bows
- CNC Cut Tubing and TIG Welded Fuselage
- Classic Super Cub Paint Scheme with Custom Options
- Basic Empty Weight Starting at 846 lbs.
- Equivalent Power-to-Weight Ratio of 150-HP Piper Super Cub
- 115-hp (at 2800 RPM) Lycoming YO-233 Engine with Electronic Ignition
- Lightweight Engine Saves 35 lbs. Over Comparable CC340
- Full Power Available in All Phases of Flight
- Center-line Thrust Engine Mount
- Multi-fuel Capable: 100LL and Unleaded Automotive Gas
- Full Electrical System with Starter and Alternator
- 76" Sensenich Ground Adjustable Propeller (48” / 50” / 52” pitch), or Cato Propeller
- Extended Span Flap System
- Aerodynamically Balanced Tail Surfaces
- 32-Gallon Fuel System with Right/Left/Both/Off Selector
- Dual Doors and Windows Fully Operable In Flight
- Dual Controls with Front Seat Solo Pilot Position
- L-bird Style Greenhouse Skylight and Rear Windows
- Instrument Panel Options include: VFR, Night VFR, Smart Cub Glass Panel, Autopilot, and More
- Instrument Panel Tilted Forward Adding Extra Room and Enhanced Visibility
- Ergonomic Body Conforming Adjustable Front Seat
- Heel-operated Brakes with Parking Brake System, Optional Toe Brakes
- External Baggage Door with Folding and Removable Rear Seat
- Extended Baggage Compartment Options
- Complete Aircraft Tested to ASTM F2245 Standards at 1750 lbs. Gross Weight
- Sport Pilot Certified to 1320 lbs. Gross Weight S-LSA
- Also Available as a Kit-built Aircraft.
Create Your Own Legend Cub
American Legend Aircraft Company manufactures the Legend Cub and Super Legend, both FAA-certified aircraft for sport, recreation and training. These aircraft are powered by proven Continental and Lycoming engines. Kit versions of the Legend Cub and Super Legend allow amateur builders to create and fly their own, and can be certified to 1,750 GTOW. The Legend Cub and Super Legend feature an open cabin feel, exceptional slow flight capability, and docile handling for pure, flying fun.
For further information, contact American Legend Aircraft Company at 1810 Piper Lane, Sulphur Springs, Texas 75482; call 903-885-7000, or log on to www.legend.aero. Follow us on facebook.com/LegendAircraft and instagram.com/legendcub.