TAMPA -- Today the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority Board selected Austin Commercial as the design/builder of a new Consolidated Rental Car Facility and Automated People Mover at Tampa International Airport.
The project is part of phase one of the Master Plan, which is a $943 million series of projects that will create 8,000 jobs in the Tampa Bay area. Those jobs are estimated to have a $370-million economic impact on the community over the next four years.
“We’re excited to take this significant step toward launching one of the biggest projects in airport history,” TIA CEO Joe Lopano said. “As a leading economic driver in this region, Tampa International Airport will continue to create jobs and impact as it grows and develops into an even greater asset to our community and visitors.”
The $318.7 million, multi-level Consolidated Rental Car Facility and $$417.5 million, 1.3-mile Automated People Mover are the cornerstones of the first phase of the airport’s Master Plan, which aims to decongest roadways and curbsides. Once completed in 2017, the project will:
- Add 2,400 parking spaces to the airport’s long term garage
- Remove 8,500 daily rental car vehicle movements from airport roadways and curbsides
- Allow rental car operations to grow
- Increase the efficiency of rental car operations, reducing costs and improving customer service
- Eliminate bussing operations for rental car customers, economy parking users and airport employees.
The project will also provide opportunities for regional transportation links and commercial real estate development to diversify revenues for the airport.
The contract for the project will be awarded in spring of 2014.