Alexandria, Va. (July 9, 2013) – The Helicopter Association International (HAI) is joining the U.S. Department of Defense and hundreds of other organizations to mark the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War and honor U.S. and allied service members who fought there.
“There is no question that the helicopter industry in the United States and even around the world was profoundly shaped by the uses developed for helicopters which now serve the greater good of society, utilizing the thousands of pilots and maintenance technicians trained during that war,” said HAI President Matt Zuccaro. “We are proud to be a Commemorative Partner of the Vietnam War Commemoration."
The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act authorized the U.S. Secretary of Defense to conduct a program to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War. In accordance with the law, “the commemorative program will include activities and ceremonies to:
- thank and honor veterans of the Vietnam War, including personnel who were held as prisoners of war (POW), or listed as missing in action (MIA), for their service and sacrifice on behalf of the United States and to thank and honor the families of these veterans;
- highlight the service of the Armed Forces during the Vietnam War and the contributions of Federal agencies and governmental and non-governmental organizations that served with, or in support of, the Armed Forces;
- pay tribute to the contributions made on the home front by the people of the United States during the Vietnam War;
- highlight the advances in technology, science, and medicine related to military research conducted during the Vietnam War; and,
- recognize the contributions and sacrifices made by the allies of the United States during the Vietnam War.”
Over the next several years, HAI will host activities that will thank and honor Vietnam Veterans and their families in a memorable, dignified, and special manner. The first of these will be at the HAI HELI-CENTER during EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wis., July 28 – Aug. 4, 2013. HAI staff will meet and greet Vietnam War Veterans who attend AirVenture and, on Wednesday, July 31, will present them with a special gift in appreciation for their service. If you are a Vietnam Vet and will be at Oshkosh, please be sure to stop by throughout the week.
HAI will also host special recognition activities during HAI HELI-EXPO® in Anaheim, Calif., February 24-27, 2014. Look for more information on www.rotor.org and in RotorNews.
To learn more about the commemoration, please visit www.vietnamwar50th.com.
On behalf of a grateful nation, it is a privilege to thank and honor all Vietnam War veterans for your service, valor and sacrifice when our country needed you most.
HAI is the professional trade association for the international helicopter community. Its 1,600 company members and 1,400 individual members, in more than 70 nations, safely operate more than 5,000 helicopters approximately 2.5 million hours each year. HAI is dedicated to the promotion of the helicopter as a safe, effective method of commerce and to the advancement of the international helicopter community.
HAI Mission: To provide its members in more than 70 nations with services that directly benefit their operations, and to advance the international helicopter community by providing programs that...
AirVenture's "Salute to Veterans" - a national partnership led by EAA, the Warbirds of America, and the Disabled American Veterans.
"Navy Day" on July 27 will feature a variety of legendary naval aircraft spanning the past 100 years, showcased in the afternoon air show and spotlighted throughout the week.