LAS VEGAS, NEV., March 25, 2013 -- Nearly 1,500 avionics manufacturers, dealers, installers and other general aviation professionals have converged at the 56th annual Aircraft Electronics Association International Convention & Trade Show, which opened today at the MGM Grand Hotel & Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nev. The four-day event takes place March 25-28, and it is the largest gathering of avionics manufacturers, distributors and government-certified repair stations in the world.
The AEA Convention is the preeminent venue dedicated solely to the general aviation avionics industry. Not open to the public, this event's primary focus is providing avionics professionals with educational and marketing opportunities between equipment manufacturers, distributors and government-certified repair stations. The general aviation avionics community knows the AEA Convention is a must-attend gathering for growing their businesses, training their technicians and meeting with their dealer network.
The city of Las Vegas, Nev., plays host to this year's event. Avionics professionals will experience the following highlights during the week, just to name a few.
- The event is the platform of choice for the introduction of several new avionics products coming to market this year.
- More than 75 hours of regulatory, technical and business management training and professional development.
- The AEA's Fast Traks and technical training workshops are approved for credit toward the AEA's Avionics Training Excellence Award, as well as accepted for FAA IA renewal and the AMT Awards Program.
- An Exhibit Hall filled with the latest avionics technologies and more than 130 exhibitors.
- The latest regulatory updates with international agency personnel.
- More than $100,000 in scholarships awarded to avionics and aviation maintenance students.
- Recognition of Dan Derby, the 2013 AEA Lifetime Achievement Award recipient.
- Recognition of the 2013 AEA Member of the Year Award recipient.
- Recognition of the 2013 AEA Associate Member of the Year Award recipient.
- Dealer discounts offered from manufacturers as part of the AEA Show Specials.
- Unique social events and networking opportunities with industry colleagues, including the First-Nighter Party, the annual AEA Awards Luncheon and the Farewell Reception.
- 32nd Lowell Gaylor Memorial Golf Tournament to benefit the AEA Educational Foundation.
In addition, the AEA Educational Foundation, in partnership with the National Center for Aerospace and Transportation Technologies (NCATT), will offer registered attendees free Aircraft Electronics Technician (AET) certification and endorsement exams. Attendees may test their knowledge in achieving the NCATT's highly regarded avionics technician certification. This $100 value is only available through the AEA at the convention.
OFFICIAL OPENING AND NEW PRODUCT INTRODUCTIONS LIVE-STREAMING
One of the most popular sessions each year is the AEA Opening Ceremonies, sponsored by Universal Avionics Systems Corp., and the AEA New Product Introductions. This must-see event takes place Tuesday, March 26, and it continues to draw the attention of the entire general aviation community. This year is no different, as the Aero-News Network will be live-streaming the AEA Opening Ceremonies and New Product Introductions around the world on the Internet for the fourth straight year.
In addition, each NPI presentation will be syndicated by ANN to dozens of popular E-media and aviation websites, such as YouTube, and ANN will produce live programming throughout the week and conduct high-tech interviews from the AEA Exhibit Hall floor for even greater exposure.
Dick Rutan, a pilot, entrepreneur and adventurer who made history in December 1986, after completing a nine-day nonstop and nonrefueled flight around the world that established a flight-endurance record, will be the keynote speaker during the AEA Opening Ceremonies.
AEA AWARDS LUNCHEON
The 2013 AEA Member of the Year and Associate Member of the Year will be announced during the annual AEA Awards Luncheon on Wednesday, March 27, presented by Pacific Southwest Instruments. Last year's winners were Jim Joubert of Pacific Southwest Instruments, who was named the 2012 AEA Member of the Year; and Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics, named the 2012 AEA Associate Member of the Year.
The nominees for the 2013 AEA Member of the Year are:
- Stewart Dimon, Texas GYRO
- David Loso, Jet Aviation St. Louis
- Kent McIntyre, Bevan-Rabell Inc.
- Dan Rice, Flightcraft
- Mark Wilken, Elliott Aviation
- Greg York, Pippen-York Inc.
The nominees for the 2013 Associate Member of the Year are:
- Aero Express
- FreeFlight Systems
- Rockwell Collins
- Sandia Aerospace
- Universal Avionics Systems Corp.
"The AEA is thrilled to be in Las Vegas for our 56th International Convention & Trade Show," said Paula Derks, AEA president. "Our attendees will have the opportunity to network with their industry peers and keep up-to-date with industry trends by seeing new products with the major suppliers under one roof. In this new world of social media, text messaging, emailing and webinars, one thing remains constant: Our attendees still want to see, touch and talk product face-to-face."
For more information and a complete schedule of events, along with directions to download the AEA Convention mobile app, visit www.aea.net/convention.
The official Twitter hashtag for the AEA Convention is #AEA13.