Sporty's Founder and Chairman Hal Shevers announced the formation of The Sporty's Foundation, a charitable organization to promote aviation education and safety initiatives with an emphasis on youth programs. Shevers made the announcement at the Aircraft Electronics Association 50th Convention.
As its first bequest, The Sporty's Foundation is making a $5,000 donation to AEA's Educational Foundation. "Part of the AEA Foundation's charter is to provide educational opportunities through scholarships to students seeking careers in the avionics industry and that is exactly the type of program The Sporty's Foundation will support," said Shevers.
Long recognized for its corporate philanthropy, Sporty's has a proud tradition supporting aviation education initiatives including:
• Experimental Aircraft Association's Young Eagles
• AOPA Air Safety Foundation
• Aircraft Electronics Association Scholarship Fund
• Boy Scouts of America Aviation Exploring Scholarship Fund
• University of Cincinnati Aviation scholarships
• National Intercollegiate Flying Association
• Air Academy Lodge at AirVenture
• Sun'n Fun Youth Education
• EAA Fund for Excellence
• Purdue University Aviation Department
• Aviation Exploring Skyview Café at AirVenture
"Whether it's future employees or new customers, all of us in the aviation industry have a stake in attracting young people to our industry," said Shevers. "We need to actively recruit young people in order to ensure our own future."
Although the primary funding of The Sporty's Foundation will come from Sporty's Pilot Shop, the Foundation will also accept donations from individuals, companies and organizations.
Recognizing that pilots receive many solicitations from aviation-oriented causes, The Sporty's Foundation is a way to support general aviation and its youth initiatives without having to research every individual group.
"Donors can be sure that anyone receiving money will be thoroughly vetted prior to being funded by The Sporty's Foundation," added Shevers.
For more information, visit www.sportysfoundation.org.