OSHKOSH, WI -- Ultralight flight will be celebrated even more this year at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, as the "Down on The Farm" ultralight area will have new highlights and activities. EAA AirVenture 2009, "The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration," will be held July 27-Aug. 2 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh.
New items in the ultralight area, located at the south end of the AirVenture flight line, include special "Year of the Antique Ultralight" recognition and an ultralight parts consignment area. In addition, rotorcraft pilots that use the ultralight area as their AirVenture base can participate in expanded rotorcraft activities.
This year, for the first time, ultralight/light-plane pilots can also camp next to their aircraft near the Red Barn ultralight headquarters.
"If the ultralight/light-plane area at Oshkosh has been one of the event's best-kept secrets, we want to make sure that it's a secret no more," says Timm Bogenhagen, EAA Ultralight Program Manager. "The joy of basic, fun flying is what our area's all about. We love to fly and share that spirit of flight with everyone at AirVenture. We invite all ultralight enthusiasts to join us at Oshkosh."
For years, the signature event in the ultralight area at Oshkosh has been the morning and evening flight operations based on the 1,200-foot grass runway adjacent to the ultralight Red Barn. During these sessions, aviation enthusiasts could see ultralights, powered parachutes, rotorcraft and more demonstrating "low and slow" flying.
This year, more events and activities have been added to forums, flying and exhibitors traditionally found in the ultralight area. Those new additions include:
- "Year of the Antique Ultralight" — Welcoming the early models of ultralights from the 1970s and 1980s, when this form of flying was taking shape;
- Ultralight camping — Just as in other areas of the AirVenture grounds, ultralight and rotorcraft pilot will have the opportunity to enjoy the unique experience of camping next to their aircraft;
- Ultralight Aeromart — A popular aircraft parts consignment area, specially created for ultralight and rotorcraft enthusiasts;
- Rotorcraft activities — With the support of RotorWay International, there are more forums and programs for rotorcraft owners and pilots than ever in a growing part of AirVenture;
- Ultralight chapters — A special area will be set up for EAA ultralight chapters to promote their activities along with special ultralight chapter competitions.
Ultralight enthusiasts are encouraged to bring their aircraft and participate in the activities. Events for those who bring aircraft include a special goody bag and the Ultralight Area BBQ on Saturday, Aug. 1.
"The improved flight line tram operations will also make it easier to reach the ultralight area, although even those who get their exercise with a walk to The Farm will find a warm welcome and plenty of fun flying going on," says Bogenhagen.
For more information visit www.airventure.org.