FORT LAUDERDALE, FL -- Don Campion, President of Banyan Air Service, is the 2009 Inductee for the Florida Aviation Trades Association (FATA) Entrepreneurial Excellence Hall of Fame.
This award was established in 2006 to honor those who have made significant contributions to the business aviation industry in Florida. These visionaries have acted not only on their dreams but also drawn on their professionalism and integrity to ensure the aviation industry will flourish and inspire others to make aviation their career and commitment.
"FATA was honored to receive the nomination of Don Campion as this year's recipient of the Entrepreneurial Excellence Hall of Fame award," says Paula Raeburn, FATA Executive Director. "His nomination was unanimously approved by the Board of Directors. Don joins others who have persevered to not only fulfill a dream but also continue to improve and add to their visions for aviation in Florida."
On May 20, a bronze plaque of Don Campion was hung in the Hall of Fame at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, FL. On the evening of June 16, 2009, Campion will once again be honored during a dinner at the FATA Annual Conference where he will be presented a crystal award.
Campion's entrepreneurial spirit allows him to continually visualize and improve services for the aviation community. A few of his achievements include:
- Banyan has been consistently voted a top United States fixed base operation (FBO) and is currently recognized as the #3 best Independent United States FBO. Professional Pilot PRASE Survey 2009.
- The recent opening of Jet Runway Café, a breakfast and lunch café with an aviation theme
- The opening of the new Banyan terminal in 2006
- Key contributor to obtaining extended hours at U.S. Customs at Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport 2005
- Serving on the NATA Board from 1999-2002
- Serving as President of the FXE Airport Association
- Serving on the Everglades University Aviation’s Program Advisory Committee
- Participating as a member of both the "FBO 20 Group" and "Vistage"
- Fostering a learning environment for schools groups with facility tours
- Providing a work environment for teammates which includes a gym, company Chaplain, health benefits, and assisting with expenses for teammate's flying lessons
- Philanthropic work that includes helping others through aviation