Geven S.p.A., the leading aircraft seating and interior solutions provider, has chosen Lexan XHR sheet for their new aircraft seating for Carribean Airlines’ Armonia interiors, designed by Giugiaro. The challenging goal of limiting the seat weight to a maximum 9kg (19.8lbs) pressed Geven to explore new, high-performance lightweight material. Lexan XHR sheet was the solution to this challenge due to the material’s compliance with the stringent flame, smoke, heat release and Airbus toxicity requirements. It also provides excellent processability with thermoforming and weight-out vs. traditional polyvinyl chloride/acrylic products.
• Ultem* Composite Aerospace Board (CAB): Ultem CAB sheets, co-developed and manufactured with Crane & Co., provide a superior alternative to thermoset aramid fiber-reinforced honeycomb composites. The Ultem CAB sheets can be quickly thermoformed, offer a broad range of high-performance properties, are recyclable and offer great potential to be refurbished with a newly developed decorative film layer to extend useful life while still meeting Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirements.
• Carbon-filled Ultem resins: SABIC Innovative Plastics’ 40-percent carbon-filled Ultem resin technologies feature exceptional stiffness and flow. These properties allow production of thin-wall molded parts to replace airline grade die-cast aluminum in structural components for up to 50 percent weight savings and up to 40 percent increase in strength. Potential applications include structural supports, arm rests, foot rests, galley applications such as coffee maker chassis, and tray table arms. Building upon Ultem resin’s proven capabilities for aircraft interiors; carbon-fiber-filled Ultem resin complies with FAA flammability FAR25853, smoke density and heat release requirements for Ohio State University (OSU) standard 65/65.
• Transparent Lexan F2000A sheet: This sheet product offers excellent FST performance and impact strength, and complies with FAR25853 & ABD0031 requirements at 2mm and 3mm, respectively. It is a candidate for windows, light diffusers and signs where clarity is requested. Lexan F2000A sheet provides environmentally responsible flame retardance according to DIN/VDE 0472 part 815.
Light weight, transparent Lexan F2000A sheet was selected by Patrick Lindon, a leading industrial designer for the interior and product design specializing in aircraft interiors and seating, to create its new inflight brochure rack for Bucher Leichtbau AG.
• Transparent Lexan FST copolymer resin: Now available in a clear formulation, this resin offers improved aesthetic flexibility. It can be combined with Lexan XHR sheet in matching colors for components such as personal service units, window reveals and threshold trims, thus eliminating the costs and environmental exposures of secondary painting. It can also be hard coated to enable full compliance for interior applications.
• Extem* UP thermoplastic polyimide (TPI) resins: These flame-retardant, extreme high-heat materials meet UL746B requirements at a Relative Thermal Index (RTI) of 240C, indicating retention of certain mechanical and electrical properties at this temperature over a period of 10 years. By incorporating polyetheretherketone (PEEK) into its proven ultra-performance Extem resin technology, SABIC Innovative Plastics is able to offer customers optimized performance combining the best of both materials. It offers up to five times greater flex strength and up to five times higher stiffness than unfilled PEEK at 200C. It also provides a coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) of up to 30 percent lower than unfilled PEEK.
Extem UP thermoplastic resin’s high performance properties gives customers greater design freedom and efficiency, higher strength and stiffness using thinner walls to reduce material weight and costs, and tighter dimensional control for high-precision applications. This unique blend technology opens new opportunities for lower-weight, high-temperature continuous use applications such as semiconductor chip trays, connectors for harsh environments, and metal replacement in high-heat oil and gas and aircraft environments.
The new LEXAN XHR A13 film adds robustness in multilayer laminate constructions used in decorative interior applications.
SABIC Innovative Plastics’ High-Performance Lexan XHR Sheet for Aircraft Interiors Now Available with Decorative Surfaces from Boltaron
Because the sheet products are constructed using SABIC Innovative Plastics’ high-performance material, they are ideal for aircraft interior components that must comply with flame, smoke and toxicity...
SABIC Features Relevant and Compliant Material Technologies that Meet Aircraft Weight-Out, Safety and Eco Challenges at Aircraft Interiors 2013
It is exhibiting high-performance thermoplastic solutions that are helping aviation customers reduce weight and costs, enhance safety and sustainability.
These innovative, new offerings: clear LEXAN XHR2000 sheet and LEXAN LIGHT F6L300 sheet provide solutions to airlines' quest for differentiated cabin interior designs while also helping to take out...