GARY, IN, AUGUST 30, 2013 – Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson today announced four appointments to the board of the Gary/Chicago International Airport Authority and welcomed the new appointment of Lake County’s representative on the board.
Each of the new members has long-term ties in the City of Gary and Northwest Indiana as well as expertise in business, accounting, public policy and law.
“These outstanding individuals share great pride in the City of Gary and a resolute commitment to continue the ongoing progress to expand and grow the airport,” said Karen Freeman-Wilson, Mayor of the City of Gary. “Their individual expertise and business acumen provide the right leadership to guide the airport forward with strong management and sound policies to attract investment and good-paying jobs.”
The appointments include:
- James Cooper, Vice President – Account Manager at JP Morgan Chase in Chicago. He holds a Bachelors of Science degree in accounting from Indiana University Northwest. Cooper has extensive experience in data analysis, external regulatory reporting and auditing.
- Denise Dillard, (Lake County appointment), Vice President of Government and External Affairs at the Methodist Hospitals where she also previously served as the Vice President of Human Resources. Dillard earned a degree in economics and political science from Howard University and a Master’s degree in Public Policy Administration from the Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs. She also holds a certificate in negotiations from Harvard University.
- Michael Doyne, President of Doyne’s Marine, Inc., in Portage, Ind. Doyne is a certified pilot for light sport aircraft and previously served on the airport’s board from 2004 to 2009. A graduate of Purdue University, Doyne also taught biology and environmental science at the former William A. Wirt High School, now the Wirt/Emerson VPA Academy.
- Shontrai Irving, Attorney at State Farm insurance in Crown Point. He is also a former deputy prosecutor of the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office. Irving holds a law degree from the Indiana University School of Law and an MBA from the Purdue University School of Management.
- Alesia Pritchett, Director of Business Services/Grant Management for the School City of Hammond. Pritchett is a Certified Public Accountant and a graduate of Purdue University. She also holds an MBA from Indiana University Northwest. Pritchett previously served as the Director of Business Services for the Gary Community School Corporation and held several accounting positions at United Airlines.
The mayor announced the appointments at a meeting of the airport’s public-private partnership (P3) committee that is evaluating 10 proposals from companies and organizations to invest in the airport and the surrounding area. The proposals include firms from an array of sectors including aviation, finance and real estate as well as urban and environmental planning. The committee will recommend proposals to the airport authority board in September.
The committee is pursuing a P3 model that retains public ownership of the airport and benefits from private sector access to capital to spur job creation and long-term investment in Gary and the Northwest Indiana region.
In addition to the P3 initiative, major construction to extend the airport’s main 7,000-foot runway by 1,900 ft. continues.
The seven-member airport authority board includes four members appointed by the mayor, one by the Board of Commissioners of Lake County, and one by the Board of Commissioners of Porter County. The Governor appoints the president of the airport authority board.
The Gary/Chicago International Airport is less than 30 minutes from the heart of the tri-state region – Chicago. The airport is directly connected to Chicago's transportation network through freight, interstate and mass-transit and has close proximity to multiple Lake Michigan ports.
Public-private Partnership Committee Initiates Negotiations to Invest in Gary/Chicago Airport and Surrounding Area
Gary/Chicago International Airport Authority initiates negotiations with two teams offering public-private partnership (P3) proposals to invest in the airport and the surrounding area
Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson today joined officials from the Gary/Chicago International Airport and the Northwest Indiana Regional Development Authority (RDA) to announce that final-phase construction...
Members of the Ad Hoc Committee of The Gary/Chicago International Airport Authority Board reported today that the committee has received 10 responses to the Request for Proposals (RFP) to invest in...