But Skybus has raised an estimated $233 million in startup capital, which was more than JetBlue Airways and its $130 million in startup cash.
That has put Skybus in a favorable light with its investors, which include Fidelity Investments, Morgan Stanley, Nationwide Mutual Capital, Tiger Management and several smaller firms.
SO YOU WANT A COMMERCIAL AIRLINE?
Bringing scheduled flights to the Charlotte County Airport would require:
* Elevating airport's FAA certification.
* Adding lighting and signs.
* Adding police and firefighters, plus Transportation Security Administration inspectors and equipment for screening.
A potential provider: Skybus
* An a la carte carrier, its low-cost fares -- as little as $10 on some flights -- only cover the seats. Guaranteed seat placement, baggage check-in, drinks and just about everything else costs extra.
* The A319 jets the airline uses are flying gift shops of sorts, with not only food and drink for sale but also clothing, watches and perfumes. Even toiletries are for sale. Cabin decor includes advertising.
* The airline does business exclusively through its Web site.
When Skybus Airlines starts service Wednesday in Chattanooga and Allegiant Air adds flights the following week, the city will be bucking an emerging headwind. Amid sharply higher fuel prices...
Punta Gorda is getting flight from Portsmouth; Skybus adds New Hampshire flights to ones between Charlotte and Columbus, Ohio
Less than a week after the super-economy airline returned commercial passenger service to Charlotte County Airport for the first time in 23 years, Skybus has added a second destination: Portsmouth...
Ultra-low-cost carriers cut freebies to keep fares low. Some flight attendants are paid partly on commission.
By 5 p.m. yesterday, $10 fares had nearly disappeared for the summer months on routes to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Los Angeles and San Francisco.