Mitigation work continues at LGA: The Port Authority approved $59 million for enhanced storm mitigation and recovery measures from Superstorm Sandy. At LaGuardia Airport, for example, a large generator will be installed at the pump house to ensure that water can be quickly pumped off the airfield. Approximately 100 million gallons of water flooded Delta Air Lines’ shuttle ramps at LaGuardia Airport and destroyed the airport’s instrument landing system pier.
Honors for Palmer Johnson: Eaton recently named Palmer Johnson Power Systems to its list of Top 24 North American Hydraulics Group Distributors for its excellent 2012 performance as an Eaton Airflex distributor.
‘E’ Awards for AAR, Gorman-Rupp: U.S. Acting Secretary of Commerce Rebecca Blank presented AAR and The Gorman-Rupp Company with the President’s “E” Award for Exports. The “E” Awards are the highest recognition any U.S. entity may receive for making a significant contribution to the expansion of U.S. exports.
Emirates wins … again: Emirates SkyCargo won the Best Air Cargo Carrier Middle East award for the 18th consecutive year at the annual Asian Freight & Supply Chain Awards.
Shell honors FBOs for safety: ExecuJet Europe’s FBOs at Berlin Schoenfeld Airport won the Shell Aviation Platinum Award for Safety and Quality. This latest accolade marks five consecutive years the Berlin FBO has been presented the award. In addition, ExecuJet’s FBO at Frankfurt am Main International Airport won the Shell Bronze Award for Safety and Quality, after being in operation for just one year.
United opens kennel at ORD: United Airlines has opened a new, on-airport kennel facility at its Chicago O’Hare International Airport hub. The kennel, which is located inside United’s new cargo facility, has 28 individual enclosures.
• Dubai-based flight support specialist Hadid International Services has launched a partnership with Saudi Arabia’s Wallan Aviation to offer ground handling for business aircraft across Saudi Arabia.
• Cryotech Deicing Technology and Proviron will introduce Polar Guard® II, a Type II aircraft deicer. This fluid is certified to AMS standard 1428 and specifically designed for the European market.
• Frankfurt Airport awarded ACCIONA Service a seven-year contract to provide handling services at the airport until 2020. The company competed with five others for the only ground handling concession at the airport.
• Turkish Airlines, Air Baltic and Monarch Airlines have chosen Air Malta as the preferred ground handling partner at Malta International Airport. Starting this summer the airlines will operate more than 140 flights to and from Malta.
• ATS Euromaster mobile technicians will be working airside after winning a contract to inspect, fit and service tires for TCR. Technicians at nine of the UK’s largest airport will conduct monthly comprehensive tire safety inspections for GSE and provide TCR with a report listing needed work.
• Dnata purchased the 50 percent stake it hadn’t already owned in Italy’s Servair Airchef. The in-flight caterer with nearly 700 employees has a presence in 23 airports in Italy.
• Swissport International Ltd. signed a contract with Service-VS, the ground handling operator at Vnukovo Airport, to launch a joint-venture and mark the first time Swissport has done business in the Russian Federation. Service-VS has more than 1,300 employees and more than 500 units of ground aviation, which allows to serve more than 100,000 flights a year.
• WheelTug and airberlin have signed a letter of intent, which gives Germany’s second largest airline the opportunity to become one of the world’s first airlines to install the system on part of its fleet after the drive technology has been certified.
• NTL Aviation Services will provide customer service, baggage handling and aircraft cleaning to QantasLink at the Mildura Airport. NTL provides similar services for regional airlines in New South Wales, Tasmania and Victoria.
Business Buzz ¦ The International Air Transport Association (IATA) revised its airline financial forecast for 2009 to a global loss of $9 billion. It is nearly double the association’s March...