How detailed should your inspection be? The same reference quoted above states five essential tests:
1. The measured peak power after 3 minutes of operation.
2. The measured frequency after three minutes of operation.
3. The audio modulation, which shall be recognizable as a typical ELT signal.
4. The measured current draw in the "OFF" (ARM) position and in the "ON" position as specified by the ELT manufacturer.
5. The automatic activation system.
To comply with the above quoted FAA and Canadian DOT regulations, the maintenance procedures in the following graphic insert should be followed.
Search and Rescue System By Jim Sparks November 2000 Words that each of us in the aviation maintenance industry dread to hear are "An aircraft went down." However, with the technology...
Every now and then, a mechanic drops me a letter. Many of these letters make great safety suggestions and others rag on me about the FAA in general, or a particular ugly regulation, or both.
After Feb. 1, 2009, the world-wide Cospas-Sarsat satellite system will no longer process 121.5 MHz alert signals.
EAA is working to remedy a situation where conflicting rules will soon place pilots in a precarious position.