The ability for an unimpeded rapid response by EMS to the terminal is enhanced by a properly located facility on landside and within the terminal complex if possible. Other missions could be served from a landside station, such as structural fires and terrorist attacks.
Training and Equipment
for first responders, consistent with the OSHA/EPA regulations typically
involve the following:
• 40-hour Emergency Response to Hazardous Materials Incidents Course followed by at least an 8-hour refresher course;
• 24-hour training course in weapons of mass destruction and Integrated Emergency Response followed within a certain time frame by an 8-hour refresher course in WMD;
• Annual 8-hour course of Hazardous Material Operations (hazmat first responder); and,
• Baseline medical screening.
While there is the obvious need for first responders to receive the above training, an "awareness" program should be provided to other airport employees.
A list of
equipment typically associated with a biochem or WMD event could include
• 60-minute SCBA tanks
• Smart Bio Detection Tickets
• Chemical Agent Detection Paper
• Chemical Agent Detector Kit
• Face Mask with Bio/Chem Cartridge
• Radiation ’monitor’ for emergency vehicles
• Radiation "S" pagers
• Level B HazMat Suits "Response Pack"
• Level A Encapsulated Hazmat Suits
• Decontamination System
• Bomb Search Suit with Bio/ Chem Visor
• Charcoal Hoods for Level B Hazmat Suits
• Nerve/Blister Agent Monitor
• Photoionization Device.
About the Author
Armen DerHohannesian has worked with airport planning and design for some 38 years. A consultant since 1975, he specializes in ARFF station planning and design, including aircraft water rescue programs. He is a founder and past president of the Airport Consultants Council and serves as co-chair of the working group tasked with rewriting FAR Part 139, relating to ARFF operations. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAR Part 139 ARFF services to airports, airparks, and other facilities in the U.S. and Canada are provided by Pro-Tec Fire Services, Ltd. The company also provides consulting, training, public safety...