Hydraulic System Maintenance & Troubleshooting Checklist (Generic):
- Check quick disconnect couplings and coupling plugs for leaks or damage - repair or replace.
- Verify the fluid filler cap is in proper operating condition - replace.
- Check external and internal hoses for cuts, worn areas, blistering, or areas that seep fluid (form a drop) - replace.
- Verify all indicator lights are operational - repair or replace.
- Check for any hydraulic leaks (fittings, O-rings, gaskets, shaft seals) - re-torque, repair, or replace.
- Verify cooling fan is operating properly - clean, repair, or replace.
- Check condition of fluid either by sending a sample to an analysis laboratory, or using a portable contamination monitor - filter and dehumidify as necessary to achieve required levels that meet (airframe) manufactures specifications or replace.
- Replace all fluid filters on a regular schedule - Use periodic fluid samples, operating hours, or filter delta-pressure gauges as required or annually as a minimum depending on usage.
- Replace air filter/desiccant element on a regular schedule - Silica Gel type desiccant filters turn pink when saturated or annually as a minimum depending on usage.
- Verify hydraulic pump(s) performance as required - see OEM maintenance manual.
- Check system pressure relief valve setting - see OEM maintenance manual.
- Check reservoir interior for visible objects or silt buildup - drain, clean, and re-fill with new filtered fluid.
- Check reservoir fluid level with all cylinders retracted at operating temperature - fill as required.
- Run system and purge of any entrapped air - circulate at varying flows and pressures.
The Handbook of Hydraulic Filtration,
Parker Hannifin Corporation, Metamora, OH
Fluid Systems, two-part series,
January and February 2000 editions
David Brown of Parker Hannifin Corporation
Specifications and Properties of
Solutia, Pub. No. 7249153B
Tronair is a worldwide supplier of GSE equipment that manufactures: towbars, jacks, hydraulic equipment, electrical equipment, oxygen and nitrogen equipment, engine maintenance equipment, cabin pressure test units, deicers, maintenance platforms, tire/brake/strut service equipment, potable water units, lavatory service carts, and many others products.