Thiele says that at the rate the airport is going in terms of planned improvements and enhancements, "We will have everything done by 2011." He credits the fiscal management of the airport board and funds from the State Aeronautics Board for being able to move forward with needed improvements in such a timely manner.
A $4 million control tower is under construction, and expected to be complete by August 2005 and fully functional by end of 2005. The control tower will be completed some $2 million under budget. EAU sees some 53,000 operations annually.
The airport board is currently conducting a finance study to explore the possibility building a new terminal south of the existing one. Thiele expects the 58,125-sq.ft. project could run some $23.5 million and would allow for updates to the current 31,810-sq.ft. facility as well as offer more check-in counter space, jet bridges, and room for the restaurant to expand. The ticket space EAU currently has is occupied solely by Mesaba. If another airline were to begin servicing the airport, Thiele says additional facilities may be necessary, depending on the needs of the airline. This will be the first major terminal update since 1981 and could begin as early as this year.
The Chippewa Valley region is growing, according to Thiele. He says there are some 5,000 hi-tech employees in the region, along with other corporations, that will need access to quality air service through EAU. He adds, "As the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) keep coming our direction, we will continue to see improvements across the airport."
The airport sits on some 1,100 acres, and, says Thiele, is currently working to acquire an additional 30. Roughly 80 percent of the airport property lies in Chippewa County, while the remaining 20 percent lies in Eau Claire County.
There are some 90 based aircraft at EAU and roughly 53,000 annual operations.
Menards, the third largest home improvement center in the United States, is based in Eau Claire, and is the airport's largest tenant. Other tenants include an FBO, Heartland Aviation; rental car outfits Hertz, Avis, Enterprise; as well as a restaurant, Connell's II. Some 95 percent of the business at Connell's II is from off-airport.
Spinning off Mitchell Int'l Airport to a regional authority has long been a priority of local business leaders, who say Mitchell is a regional economic asset, not just a county service.
A public brawl has erupted over control of Wisconsin's busiest airfield: Milwaukee's Mitchell International Airport.
Target: Air Carriers Report from this year’s AAAE Air Service Conference By John F. Infanger, Editorial Director May 2001 The Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority has taken...
The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has awarded $18.9 million in federal grants to 37 regional airport projects in 29 states.