• Agent Content. Amadeus has signed an extensive long-term content agreement with the Cathay Pacific Group, which offers Amadeus agents access to a comprehensive range of Cathay Pacific and Dragonair fares, schedules, and availability. The new agreement offers Amadeus subscribers in Asia access to the same level of fares, availability and functionality, and under the same conditions, as any other travel agent content channel.
• Wi-Fi Widget. American Airlines launches its mobile Wi-Fi Widget. Now available for use on any Internet-equipped mobile device, the Wi-Fi Widget enables customers to easily identify Wi-Fi equipped flights within 24 hours of departure. Wi-Fi is now available on American flights within the continental United States on all Boeing 767-200 aircraft and select MD80 and 737 aircraft.
• Real-time Chat. Massport offers its new web-based real-time live chat “Question the Authority”. The first chat was with Thomas J. Kinton Jr., the CEO and executive director of the Massachusetts Port Authority, last September. As CEO, Kinton oversees Boston Logan Int’l Airport and Massport’s other aviation assets including Hanscom Field in Bedford and Worcester Regional Airport, as well as the public cruise, cargo, and container terminals of the Port of Boston and development of Massport-owned property in the metropolitan area.
• Global Webcast. Cessna announces it will begin offering its annual Citation maintenance and overhaul sessions normally held during the NBAA meeting and convention several weeks earlier via global webcast as part of its ongoing thrust to change the way business jet support is offered to operators around the world.
• vMuse. ARINC Incorporated announces its common-use passenger processing technology vMUSE has achieved certification to the aviation industry’s CUPPS 1.1 standard. Certification followed extensive testing of vMUSE by Lufthansa Systems, recognized as the industry’s most stringent independent Compliance Testing Entity. ARINC also completed a successful beta test program of vMUSE in cooperation with Las Vegas McCarran Int’l Airport; www.arinc.com.
• Digital Kiosks. NCR Corporation and MOD Systems are bringing digital movies to travelers with the first Download2Go digital kiosks at 20 InMotion Entertainment stores in 12 U.S. airports. Travelers now can download digital movies to Secure Digital cards in the same amount of time it takes to purchase a magazine, says the company; www.ncr.com.
• X-ray Detection. Smiths Detection announces the award of an order valued at approximately $43.5 million from the TSA for its Advanced Technology X-ray systems to be deployed at airport checkpoints across the U.S. The order for HI-SCAN 6040aTiX systems is one of the first delivery orders placed against a five-year, Indefinite Delivery, Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract with a ceiling of $325 million.
• Airport TV Network. Santa Maria Public Airport (SMX) installs new video monitors to enhance the passenger experience and create a new revenue stream. Flat screen TVs at the ticket counter and in the waiting area are linked to technology from ProDIGIQ which uses multiple sources to constantly update the status of flights. This flight information display system provides targeted, real-time data that is extremely accurate, and is also integrated to the airport web site at www.santamariaairport.com, says the company; www.prodigiq.com/site/prodigiq_airport_tv_network.
• Location-based Content. Omnivex Corporation has deployed its Moxie software on Destination Shuttle Service’s airport shuttle buses at LAX, called Shuttle Smart. The deployment also includes interactive kiosks placed in the lobbies of Destination Shuttle Service’s partner hotels. The system aims to enhance the hospitality experience by providing passengers with relevant travel, hotel, and city information while on the buses and within the hotels; www.omnivex.com/index.asp.
The contract calls for a two phased implementation process, with the first to be completed and operational by August 2013 and the second slated for early 2014.
The company is providing 40 CUSS self-service check-in kiosks, and has installed its VeriPax passenger verification system integrated with existing KABA gates to control access to the airside...
Aegean Airlines Select ARINC’s AviNet AirportTM Integrated Network Solution for Heathrow, Munich and Brussels Airports
For each of the 3 airports, ARINC provided a standard end-to-end deployment
Vancouver Airport Authority signed a five-year contract to renew its Common Use Passenger Processing Systems (CUPPS) technology at Vancouver International Airport.